The Expert and Government Review for the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate takes place between 16 November 2018 and 11 January 2019.
At its 43rd Session (Nairobi, Kenya, 11 – 13 April 2016), the IPCC Panel decided to prepare
a special report on climate change and the oceans and the cryosphere.
The scoping meeting that prepared the draft outline for the report was held on 6 - 9 December 2016 in Monaco.
During its 45th Session (Guadalajara, Mexico, 28 - 31 March 2017), the Panel approved the outline of the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC)
to be finalized in September 2019.
The Special Report is being developed under the joint scientific leadership of Working Groups I and II with support from the WGII Technical Support Unit.
Authors and Review Editors
A call for nomination of authors was sent to governments, observer organizations
and IPCC Bureau Members on 5 April 2017. They were asked to submit their nominations via their focal points
before Wednesday, 17 May 2017 (midnight CEST) using the online portal for submiting nominations.
The IPCC has selected the author teams that are now preparing the Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate (SROCC).
The selected experts took on roles of Coordinating Lead Authors and Lead Authors – who draft each individual chapter - and Review Editors, who ensure that comments by experts and governments are given appropriate consideration as the report develops.
The teams are working together to produce the Special Report, set to be finalized in September 2019.
The full list of Coordinating Lead Authors, Lead Authors and Review Editors is available here.
Graphics that provide background information about the nominees are available here and statistics on selected authors are here.
Major milestones for the production of the SROCC are:
- 2–6 Oct 2017, Nadi, Fiji: First Lead Author Meeting
- 12–16 Feb 2018, Quito, Ecuador: Second Lead Author Meeting
- 4 May – 29 June: Expert Review of First Order Draft, registration will open in April 2018 and a link be provided on the IPCC website
- 23–28 July 2018, Lanzhou, China: Third Lead Author Meeting
- 16 Nov 2018 – 11 Jan 2019: Expert and Government Review of the Second Order Draft, registration will open in October 2018 and a link be provided on the IPCC website
- 4–9 March 2019, Kazan, Russian Federation: Fourth Lead Author Meeting
- 14 June – 9 August 2019: Final Government Distribution of the Final Draft and Government Review of the Summary for Policymakers
- 16–20 September 2019, Monaco (TBC): Second Joint Session of Working Groups I and II, and 51st Session of the IPCC: Approval of the Summary for Policymakers, accepting the underlying Report
Cut-off dates for literature included in SROCC are:
- 15 Oct 2018 cut-off date: papers in submission
- 15 May 2019 cut-off date: papers accepted for publication
More information can be found in the SROCC timeline
LAM1 press release: IPCC holds First Lead Author Meeting in Fiji for Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere
in a Changing Climate
LAM2 press release: IPCC authors meet in Ecuador to develop ocean and cryosphere report
The Scientific Steering Committee for the scoping of the Special Report on climate change and the oceans and the cryosphere circulated a questionnaire
to IPCC Focal Points and Observer Organizations on 7 October 2016 with a closing date for responses of 7 November 2016. A total number of 44 pre-scoping questionnaire responses were submitted, with 28 submissions from
developed countries and 16 from developing countries or economies on transition. More information on the results of the questionaire is available in the report of the scoping meeting here.
About 100 experts from 40 countries met on 6 - 9 December 2016 in Monaco and prepared a draft outline of the Special Report on climate change and the oceans and the cryosphere. The draft was considered by the Panel during its 45th Session at the end of March 2017.
All the details of the scoping meeting are available in the scoping meeting report.
Graphics and statistical reports concerning the initial nominations and shortlisting of each stage are available in the public portal
Statistical reports include nominations by:
- Adopted outline
- IPCC-XLV/Doc. 6 - Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) Products - Outline of the Special Report on climate change and oceans and the cryosphere
- IPCC-XLV/INF. 2 - Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) Products - Outline of the Special Report on climate change and oceans and the cryosphere
- IPCC-XLIII/INF. 7: Special Reports - Proposed themes for Special Reports during the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) cycle
- IPCC-XLIII/INF. 8: Special Reports Commentary from the Co-chairs of Working Groups I, II and III on each of the proposals for Special Reports contained in document IPCC-XLIII/INF. 7
- IPCC-XLIII/INF. 9: Special Reports - Commentary from the Co-Chairs of Working Groups I, II and III on clusters of proposals for Special Reports contained in document IPCC-XLIII/INF. 7
- IPCC-XLIII/INF. 19: Sixth Assessment Report Products - Information document